Monday, March 09, 2009

Measure sixteen times...cut once.

Due to my novice timberframing skills, it takes the better part of a day to mill, plane, measure, scribe, cut and fit a single timber. This is a craft of precision- joints should be cut within tolerances of 1/16" tops- anything more and you're making firewood. It's definately a job well suited for perfectionists, so I'm slowing down (yes, apparently it *is* possible for me to work even slower than before), finding my zen and "becoming one with the wood." Over the course of several days, I completed the first section of one wall- 5 posts and a beam that frame the faux barn door opening and end joist for the second story floor. After a little fine tuning with the chisel to get it all to fit, I pinned all the pieces except for the outermost posts. With the end posts still loose, the whole assembly (called a "bent" in the timberframer's world) can be tilted away from the wall so I can patch and paint the remaining exposed drywall seams before fastening everything to the stud wall.
The posts continue up into the second story, terminating at the top of the knee wall, ready to accept a top plate and another course of timbers that will extend up to the ceiling. One wall down, three more to go....

No comments: