Sunday, August 22, 2010

The cargo container gets an addition.

As the barn project nears completion, I won't be able to use it for my workshop much longer- basically, I'm being evicted! So I built a shed off the north side of the cargo container using all the lumber salvaged from our recent deconstruction projects. To keep it qualified as a temporary structure (and I use that term rather loosely since it is likely to be here for several years), I secured the support posts with earth anchors, then built gabions (stone cribbing) around each one. All the framing was fastened with screws, as well as the metal roofing panels, so I can someday disassemble the whole structure and upcycle the materials yet again.
The shed is about 12 feet deep and nearly 40 feet long- large enough to use as a carport, outdoor workshop, and storage area...or just a nice spot to sit in the shade and watch the apple trees grow.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

First flush.

Installed our Toto Eco Whitney toilet in the silo and gave it the ceremonial 'first flush' yesterday. This Toto model is a 1.28 GPF water-saving toilet that seems to be the benchmark in the industry, based on all the research I've done (and I think I've spent far more time researching toilets than I've spent actually using them in the past year!). Hopefully, it will work better than the Caroma Sydney Smart dual-flush toilet I installed in the other bathroom, which we are not very happy with so far. Eventually, the Toto will be connected to an AQUS greywater recycling system to reduce the water usage to well under 1 gallon/flush. I also installed the tub/shower- a 1920 vintage claw foot tub that we bought on Craigslist for $75. I used a Tubby's refinishing kit to make it look new again, and we also had the claw feet professionally chrome plated.
We splurged on a rather expensive plumbing setup from Signature hardware, which looks like quality goods from what I can tell so far. With the curved wall of the silo, I couldn't make a standard vanity fit in the space. So I'm building a custom vanity using some leftover Skyblend sheeting, barn timbers and salvaged wainscotting. I'll probably fabricate a counter top for it from the Eccorok that I have leftover. Almost done....

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Two beds.

Built two queen sized frames for the hayloft bedrooms- check one more task off my list! For the first one, I used our salvaged barn timbers and mortise-and-tenon construction.
Now that I have a supply of wide slabs to work with, I decided to play with them for bed #2. The corner posts are salvaged barn timbers, and the head/foot boards are thick pine slabs cut with the chainsaw mill, about 20" wide. I left them with a 'live' edge on top to keep it rustic looking.
I put them together with structural screws, but pegged the holes to give it the timber-framed look. This was much easier and looks the same.