Sunday, August 22, 2010

The cargo container gets an addition.

As the barn project nears completion, I won't be able to use it for my workshop much longer- basically, I'm being evicted! So I built a shed off the north side of the cargo container using all the lumber salvaged from our recent deconstruction projects. To keep it qualified as a temporary structure (and I use that term rather loosely since it is likely to be here for several years), I secured the support posts with earth anchors, then built gabions (stone cribbing) around each one. All the framing was fastened with screws, as well as the metal roofing panels, so I can someday disassemble the whole structure and upcycle the materials yet again.
The shed is about 12 feet deep and nearly 40 feet long- large enough to use as a carport, outdoor workshop, and storage area...or just a nice spot to sit in the shade and watch the apple trees grow.

No comments: